Wednesday, March 12, 2014

To Russia (Vladimir Nabokov)

Let me go, I beg, don’t deny me!
The night is silent, scary and cold.
I am powerless here. I am dying
from your blind constant assault.

On a peak, one is free to bewail
the homeland he left of free will,
but I’ve descended now into the vale -
don’t you dare to follow me still.

I am ready to hide out forever
and live nameless. I’m also prepared
to denounce my dreams so we never
come together in them as a pair;

to drain blood and to go for the jugular,
forget favorite books, let them go,
and exchange for a different vernacular 
all I have now – the language I know.

But in return, o Russia, through tears,
through the grass by two gravesites, somehow,
through the birches that shiver, austere,
through all which sustained me till now,

do not gaze on me like the old times
with those dear blinded eyes, I’ll be gone,
do not dig for me in the coal mine,
do not grasp for my life from now on!

For the shame, anguish, torment, all senseless,
- because ages have now come and gone,
it’s too late now! –nobody will answer,
and my soul won’t forgive anyone.

1939, Paris

 
             
К РОССИИ

Отвяжись, я тебя умоляю!
Вечер страшен, гул жизни затих.
Я беспомощен. Я умираю
от слепых наплывание й твоих.

Тот, кто вольно отчизну покинул,
волен выть на вершинах о ней,
но теперь я спустился в долину,
и теперь приближаться не смей.

Навсегда я готов затаиться
и без имени жить. Я готов,
чтоб с тобой и во снах не сходиться,
отказаться от всяческих снов;

обескровить себя, искалечить,
не касаться любимейших книг,
променять на любое наречье
все, что есть у меня,-- мой язык.

Но зато, о Россия, сквозь слезы,
сквозь траву двух несмежных могил,
сквозь дрожащие пятна березы,
сквозь все то, чем я смолоду жил,

дорогими слепыми глазами
не смотри на меня, пожалей,
не ищи в этой угольной яме,
не нащупывай жизни моей!

Ибо годы прошли и столетья,
и за горе, за муку, за стыд,--
поздно, поздно! -- никто не ответит,
и душа никому не простит.

1939, Париж

Visit Russian Poetry in English for more of my translations

No comments:

Post a Comment