Monday, November 10, 2014

O. Mandelstam



The horses are sauntering, slow,
The lanterns give off little light!
These strange men surely must know
Where I’ll be taken tonight.

I’m starting to trust their concern,
Cold, sleepy and totally spent;
I’m jolted and thrown on a turn
To the beam of the star overhead.

My forehead’s feverish lurching,
And cold hands comforting me,
And outlines of shadowy fir-trees,
The ones that I’ve yet to see.

1911

Как кони медленно ступают,
Как мало в фонарях огня!
Чужие люди, верно, знают,
Куда везут они меня.

А я вверяюсь их заботе,
Мне холодно, я спать хочу;
Подбросило на повороте
Навстречу звездному лучу.

Горячей головы качанье,
И нежный лед руки чужой,
И темных елей очертанья,
Еще невиданные мной.

1911

Visit Russian Poetry in English for more of my translations

No comments:

Post a Comment