Sunday, January 12, 2014

Anna Akhmatova from "Rosary" #13



We will not drink from the same cup -
Neither water nor sweet wine is ours,
We will not kiss as the sun goes up
Or gaze at the night, on the sill, for hours.
I breathe by the moon, you – by the sun,
But the love that keeps us alive is one.

My loyal friend is constantly with me,
Your merry girlfriend is with you, likewise,
But you’re the reason for my misery,
I recognize the fear in your grey eyes.
Our evanescent meetings have decreased.
Thus we are fated to preserve our peace.

But in my verse, your voice is singing clear,
And in your verse, my breath is always sighing,
O, there exists a fire that’s undying,
Beyond the reach of distances and fear.
And if you only knew just how transfixed
I am now by your dry and rosy lips!

Autumn 1913

Не будем пить из одного стакана
Ни воду мы, ни сладкое вино,
Не поцелуемся мы утром рано,
А ввечеру не поглядим в окно.
Ты дышишь солнцем, я дышу луною,
Но живы мы любовию одною.

Со мной всегда мой верный, нежный друг,
С тобой твоя веселая подруга.
Но мне понятен серых глаз испуг,
И ты виновник моего недуга.
Коротких мы не учащаем встреч.
Так наш покой нам суждено беречь.

Лишь голос твой поет в моих стихах,
В твоих стихах мое дыханье веет.
О, есть костер, которого не смеет
Коснуться ни забвение, ни страх.
И если б знал ты, как сейчас мне любы
Твои сухие, розовые губы!

Осень 1913

Visit Russian Poetry in English for more of my translations

No comments:

Post a Comment