Sunday, January 19, 2014

Anna Akhmatova from "Rosary" #24



I’ve learned to live now wisely and simply,
Look to the sky and pray upon my knees,
And wander quietly outside each evening
To beat the useless feeling of unease.

As burdocks rustle in the gully in the distance,
And yellow-crimson rowan clusters swell,
I’m writing happy verses on existence,
A fleeting one, but beautiful as well.

I come back home. The fluffy cat will wake
And lick my palm while purring rather sweetly.
And on the turret of the sawmill by the lake,
A light is lit just then as if to greet me.

But, now and then, the calm is cut once more -
A crying stork lands on the roof, returning.
And if you happen to come knocking on my door,
It seems to me that I would not discern it.


1912

Я научилась просто, мудро жить,
Смотреть на небо и молиться Богу,
И долго перед вечером бродить,
Чтоб утомить ненужную тревогу.

Когда шуршат в овраге лопухи
И никнет гроздь рябины желто-красной,
Слагаю я веселые стихи
О жизни тленной, тленной и прекрасной.

Я возвращаюсь. Лижет мне ладонь
Пушистый кот, мурлыкает умильней,
И яркий загорается огонь
На башенке озерной лесопильни.

Лишь изредка прорезывает тишь
Крик аиста, слетевшего на крышу.
И если в дверь мою ты постучишь,
Мне кажется, я даже не услышу.

1912

Visit Russian Poetry in English for more of my translations

1 comment:

  1. I cannot thank lemeridian funding service enough and letting people know how grateful I am for all the assistance that you and your team staff have provided and I look forward to recommending friends and family should they need financial advice or assistance @ 1,9% Rate for Business Loan .Via Contact : . lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.com. WhatsApp...+ 19893943740. Keep up the great work.
    Thanks, Busarakham.

    ReplyDelete