Sunday, January 12, 2014

Anna Akhmatova from "Rosary" #7



***

After the wind and the frost in the yard,
It was nice to have the fire warm me.
But I’ve failed to watch my heart
And here it was taken from me.

The lavish New Years party won’t adjourn,
Moist stems of roses catch the eyes,
But, in my chest, one can no more discern
The trembling dragonflies.

Oh, I’ve spotted the thief in the room,
I’ve identified him by his eyes.
But I’m frightened that soon, so soon,
He himself will return the prize.

January 1914

***

После ветра и мороза было
Любо мне погреться у огня.
Там за сердцем я не уследила,
И его украли у меня.

Новогодний праздник длится пышно,
Влажны стебли новогодних роз,
А в груди моей уже не слышно
Трепетания стрекоз.

Ах! не трудно угадать мне вора,
Я его узнала по глазам.
Только страшно так, что скоро, скоро
Он вернет свою добычу сам.

Январь 1914

Visit Russian Poetry in English for more of my translations

No comments:

Post a Comment