Monday, January 20, 2014

Anna Akhmatova from "Rosary" #25



All stayed the same, just as it was,
Here it is futile to be dreaming,
This road’s impassable, I close
My shutters early in the evening.

One window peers out to the woods,
My quiet home is grim and shoddy.
Someone was cut here from a noose,
And afterward they cursed his body.

In secret pleasure or despair -  
Death was his triumph – his salvation.
Upon his tattered, red plush chair,
His shadow flashes on occasion.

The cuckoo’s pleased to see the night,
Their dialogue grows clear and loud.
Through cracks, I see the thieves outside
Have lit a fire by the mound.

I sense foul weather in the air,
As smoke, diffusing, starts to sink.
I’m not afraid. For luck, I wear
A long and dark-blue silken string.

May 1912

Здесь все то же, то же, что и прежде,
Здесь напрасным кажется мечтать.
В доме, у дороги непроезжей,
Надо рано ставни запирать.

Тихий дом мой пуст и неприветлив,
Он на лес глядит одним окном.
В нем кого-то вынули из петли
И бранили мертвого потом.

Был он грустен или тайно-весел,
Только смерть — большое торжество.
На истертом красном плюше кресел
Изредка мелькает тень его.

И часы с кукушкой ночи рады,
Все слышней их четкий разговор.
В щелочку смотрю я. Конокрады
Зажигают за холмом костер.

И, пророча близкое ненастье,
Низко, низко стелется дымок.
Мне не страшно. Я ношу на счастье
Темно-синий шелковый шнурок.

1912 Май

Visit Russian Poetry in English for more of my translations

No comments:

Post a Comment