Monday, February 17, 2014

Akhmatova - a later addition to "Evening"



To the beam of light I pray –
Straight, thin and pale, and suspended.
I’m silent since the break of day,
My heart – is all fragmented.
My washstand’s copper is all green
And yet the playing light
Makes it a wonder to be seen,
A pleasure to my sight.
It’s plain and innocent and bold,
In setting sun’s tranquility,
But in this temple, bare and cold,
As though a holiday of gold,
A comfort unto me.

1909

Молюсь оконному лучу -
Он бледен, тонок, прям.
Сегодня я с утра молчу,
А сердце - пополам.
На рукомойнике моем
Позеленела медь.
Но так играет луч на нем,
Что весело глядеть.
Такой невинный и простой
В вечерней тишине,
Но в этой храмине пустой
Он словно праздник золотой
И утешенье мне.

1909

Visit Russian Poetry in English for more of my translations

No comments:

Post a Comment