Friday, February 14, 2014

Anna Akhmatova - a later addition to "Evening"




Reading Hamlet

1

The graveyard, wasteland, then the shore,
Where the river shines cool and blue.
You told me: “Get thee to a nunnery or
Find a fool to marry you…”
That’s the sort of thing princes say, I know,
But I’ll never forget this one, –
Like an ermine mantle let your words shine and flow
For many years, and on, and on.

1909 Kiev

Читая Гамлета

1

У кладбища направо пылил пустырь,
А за ним голубела река.
Ты сказал мне: "Ну что ж, иди в монастырь
Или замуж за дурака..."
Принцы только такое всегда говорят,
Но я эту запомнила речь,-
Пусть струится она сто веков подряд
Горностаевой мантией с плеч.

1909 Киев

2

As if by mistake, beguiled,
I used the familiar “You…”
A flashing shadow of a smile
Lit up your face anew.
When one blunders so absurdly,
Gazes will alight…
Still I love you, like some forty
Tender sisters might.

1909

И как будто по ошибке
Я сказала: "Ты..."
Озарила тень улыбки
Милые черты.
От подобных оговорок
Всякий вспыхнет взор...
Я люблю тебя, как сорок
Ласковых сестёр.

1909

Visit Russian Poetry in English for more of my translations

No comments:

Post a Comment